- 3/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 C water, warm (110 °F)
- 1/2 T honey
- 1 C all-purpose flour, (+1/2 C for rolling)
- 2 C whole wheat flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t olive oil
Mise en Place:
- Preheat the oven to 450º F.
- Measure out all of the ingredients.
Start the Dough:
- To start the dough, mix together the yeast, warm water, and honey in a small bowl. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to proof. You’ll see bubbles form on top.
- Combine the all-purpose and whole wheat flours and the salt into a large bowl. In the middle of the bowl, create a well in the center. That is where you will add the yeast mixture.
Prepare the Dough:
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together with your hands.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes, adding more flour if needed. The dough should be soft, not flaky or sticky.
- Lightly coat a bowl with the oil and place the dough ball inside. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and let it rest in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 portions. Shape into a ball.
- Place the balls onto a clean, floured surface. Roll out each ball with a rolling pin into a ¼ – inch thick circle.
- Transfer them to a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake each pita for 5 minutes or until the pita puffs up.
- Eat warm or store in an airtight container for later use.