- 1 C cooked brown rice
- 1 C gandules
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 7 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 C vegetable stock – low sodium
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mise en Place
- Precook the brown rice according to package.
- Rinse the gandules.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Dice the onion and bell pepper into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Separate leaves from cilantro stems. Mince leaves.
- Drain the tomatoes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper mixture and sauté until soft.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, paprika, and cumin to the pot and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice and vegetable stock.
- Add the gandules. Cook until hot then remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.