Mise En Place
- Measure out all ingredients.
- Wash and dry russet potatoes.
- Set a large strainer over a bowl. In a food processor fitted with the shredding disk, shred the potatoes and onion in batches. If using a food processor, use a cheese grater to shred the potatoes and onions. Add each batch to the strainer and let stand for 5 minutes, then squeeze dry. Pour off all of the liquid in the bowl and add the shredded potatoes. Stir in the flour, eggs, dill, salt and baking powder. Scrape the mixture back into the strainer and set it over a bowl; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a very large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of canola oil until it shimmers. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture into the canola oil for each latke, pressing slightly to flatten. Fry over moderate heat, turning once, until the latkes are golden and crisp on both sides, about 7 minutes. Drain the latkes on a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
Serve and enjoy!
- Serve the latkes hot with applesauce and plain greek yogurt or sour cream.
Adapted from Gail Simmons’ Mom’s Potato Pancakes (Hanukkah Latkes)