- 1 lb Black Eyed Peas
- 3 C water
- 2 pieces Ham Hocks, smoked
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mise en place
- Wash and dry produce.
- Dice the celery, carrots, and onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Measure out the ingredients.
Cook the black-eyed peas
- Place the black-eyed peas in a large saucepan filled with water- enough to cover beans by two to three inches.
- Bring water to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Let cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain softened peas. and set aside.
Cook the Ham-Hock
- In a slow cooker, add the ham hocks, diced onions, carrots, and celery, along with smoked paprika, cayenne and garlic.
- Pour in 2-3 cups of water and cook on high setting for about an hour.
- Reduce heat setting on slow cooker to Low and then add the peas to the slow cooker- cook for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove ham hock from the slow cooker, and shred (when shredding, you can remove bits of fat remaining after cooking.)
- Add the meat back to the peas.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve!