Mise en Place
- Wash and dry produce
- Peel and devein shrimp
- Chop onions, celery, bell peppers
- Slice the okra
- Peel and mince garlic
- Measure out the ingredients
- In a large stock pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat, add flour, stirring constantly with a whisk until golden brown for about 10 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
- Add okra to the roux, reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes to soften.
Add vegetables and seasonings
- Add onions, peppers, and celery, and stir until softened. Add garlic and Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper. Slowly stir in vegetable broth and bring to a boil, add bay leaves. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes.
- Add shrimp, green onions, and parsley and let cook for about 10 minutes (until shrimp is pink and opaque), taste, and adjust seasonings.
Garnish, Serve, and Enjoy
- Garnish with green onions and serve over whole grain rice