- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, minced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 8 oz. canned tomato sauce
- 1 C brown rice, uncooked
- 2 C water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 C low sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mise en place
- Wash and dry produce.
- Chop the onion and the bell pepper into a small, ¼ inch dice.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Mince the thyme and the oregano.
- Wash and drain beans.
- Measure out the ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium flare. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute until the onion is clear or translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, beans and simmer for 5-10 minutes to join flavors.
- Stir in the rice and water. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit covered for another 5-10 minutes.
- Season and stir lightly with a fork and serve.