Mise en Place:
- Measure out the canola oil, salt, and Garam Masala.
- Wash and dry the cilantro and jalapeno.
- Chop the cilantro; mince the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno; dice the onion.
- Prepare chickpeas or rinse and drain canned chickpeas.
Heat the Spices and Herbs:
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, and 1⁄4 tsp salt and cook, stirring frequently until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cilantro, and jalapeno to the pot and cook, stirring continuously, for about 30 seconds.
- Add the garam masala and stir until everything is evenly coated with the spices. You can add a little more oil at this point if the pan is looking dry.
Add Tomatoes and Chickpeas:
- Add tomatoes and chickpeas and remaining salt. If the mixture looks a little too thick, add up to 1 cup water.
- Increase heat to medium high until it reaches a rolling simmer, then reduce heat to low or medium-low and maintain a simmer (uncovered) for 15-20 minutes, or until thick and stew-like. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Serve and enjoy!