Mise en Place
- Prepare Taco Seasoning per recipe directions
- Prepare chicken per recipe directions (if using)
- Wash and dry produce
- Chop spinach, slice onion and bell pepper, and mince garlic and jalapeño
- Drain and rinse black beans
- Measure out the olive oil, brown rice, salsa, and taco seasoning
Prepare Brown Rice
- Combine rice and water in a heavy bottomed pot.
- Bring to a boil and add salt, reduce to a simmer and cover, and let simmer for 35 minutes.
- Keep covered and all to sit for 15 minutes and fluff with a fork and set aside
Prepare Onion and Pepper Mix sauté pan
- While the rice is cooking, heat sauté pan over medium heat and add 1/2 Tbsp olive oil.
- Add the sliced onions, bell pepper, greens and minced garlic. Cook until lightly caramelized, then lightly toss in the greens at the end to wilt.
- Remove from heat and set up aside
Prepare Burrito Mix
- Clean out the sauté pan
- Heat the pan again over medium heat, add 1/2 Tbsp olive oil.
- Add black beans, jalapeño, 1/4 C salsa, and diced chicken (if using).
- Cook until heated through, adding 1 Tbsp of water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Season with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Portion rice (about ½ C) into 4 serving bowls then pour pepper and onion on top of the rice. Layer on the bean/chicken mixture. Top each bowl with remaining salsa and a squeeze of lime. Serve and enjoy!