- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 1/2 C water
- 1 1/4 C canned tomato sauce
- 1 T salt
- 1 1/2 C of uncooked brown rice
- 1 t of dried oregano
- 2 t of dried cumin
- 1 C Butternut Squash
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
Mise En Place
- Cook brown rice per recipe directions.
- Prepare and dice the Chicken per recipe directions.
- Wash produce.
- Dice the onion and the Butternut Squash.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Measure out the brown rice, olive oil, oregano, and Butternut Squash.
- Saute onion and garlic with the oil in a medium pot.
- Add water, oregano and cumin, and tomato sauce to the pot.
- Cook on high until water comes to a boil.
- Add in the rice and reduce heat to medium-high, until rice is simmering for about 20 seconds.
- Add in the salt and stir the rice once around.
- Turn heat down to low, cover, and simmer for about 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through. The water should be fully absorbed and the rice should still have a little bite and not be mushy.
- Turn off the heat and let rice steam with the cover on for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce into the pan.
- In a separate pan, saute the remaining vegetables and diced chicken using olive oil.
- Once caramelized, combine with the sauce and rice mixture.