Mise en Place
- Slice scallion finely.
- Mix with cornmeal, cheese, and corn.
- Salt and pepper mixture to taste.
Creating the arepa batter
- Put milk and water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until steam rises.
- Remove from heat and stir into cornmeal mixture until a thick batter is formed.
- Season batter to taste and add more cornmeal if needed.
- Let batter rest until it thickens into a soft dough, about 15 minutes.
Shaping the arepas
- Gently form 3- to 4-inch balls from mixture and flatten with palm of your hand to a 1/2-inch-thick disk.
Cook the arepas
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and cook arepas, working in batches, until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.