- 2 cups butternut squash
- 8 oz. whole grain elbow macaroni
- 1 C low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mise en place
- Cube butternut squash
- Cut off ends of squash
- Peel off the skin
- Cut in half
- Scoop out the seeds
- Slice into planks
- Dice into cubes
- Mince garlic
- Dice onions
- Measure all ingredients
- Bring one pot of water to a boil. Add cubed butternut squash and cook on medium-high heat for 12-15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove butternut squash from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and place into a large bowl to slightly cool.
- Add macaroni noodles to reserved boiling water and cook according to package instructions. While the noodles are cooking, add cooked butternut squash to a food processor or blender.
- Puree squash while slowly adding the vegetable broth until desired consistency is reached. Add more broth to thin the puree if needed.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 T of olive oil to the pan. Next add the minced garlic and diced onions and cook down until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the butternut puree to the sauté pan with the garlic and onions. Mix together.
- Next, add the Parmesan cheese, milk and salt and pepper to create a sauce-like mixture.
- Remove macaroni from boiling water and stir into butternut sauce until well coated. Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with leftover Parmesan cheese.
Serve and enjoy!