- 1 bunch beet(s), with greens attached
- 2 oz cream cheese, low-fat
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- Whole wheat baguette bread, sliced into ½ inch pieces
Mise en Place
- Wash and dry beet bunch. Cut the greens off the beets and mince the leaves very fine. Then peel and slice the beets very thin.
- Measure 2oz low-fat cream cheese and set aside
- Slice whole wheat baguette into ½ inch pieces and set aside
- In a small bowl, mix together the low-fat cream cheese and finely chopped beet greens and thyme. Set aside.
- Arrange the slices of bread on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler until lightly browned.
- Spread about a teaspoon of the herbed cream cheese on a slice of toasted bread and top with a few slices of beets. Repeat for each piece of toasted bread.
- Top each beet with a mustard green flower.
- Serve and enjoy!
- A mandoline slicer can be used to slice the beets very thin.
- Any other fine leaf herb such as tarragon, dill or basil can be substituted for the thyme.
- A nice garnish is the mustard green flowers from the school garden once the mustard greens have gone to seed.